5 Best VPN for Japan – Unblock Content with Ease (2020)
The nation of the rising sun, Japan, is the hub of the internet. With a whopping 72% Japanese population using the internet every day, it is also considered the top destination for all ISPs, digital companies, and even eCommerce.
Although right now, Japan doesn’t face any imminent threat related to the internet. However, considering the changing nature of internet censorship.
Soon Japan will be among those countries where internet censorship and privacy controls can become a significant hurdle.
So, what are the options available to most of the Japanese right now?
The short answer, get a good VPN service. Most reputed VPN services have already started providing their services in Japan for both residents and commercial hubs.
Moreover, these VPN services are also a favorite of over 2 million tourists that arrive in Japan every month.
Many consider these VPN services an ideal way to maintain privacy and gain access to geo-restricted content that is often not accessible through Japanese IP addresses.
Some even resort to switching IP addresses to access geo-blocked services in Japan, such as Netflix, Disney Plus, Amazon, Hulu, and other services of similar nature.
Whatever the reason, let’s learn about the best VPN services that can help you access the best content on the web without any restrictions from Japan.
While searching for VPN networks in Japan, you will come across a plethora of services. Not all of them are going to offer you the most exceptional experience. So, we’ve narrowed down the choices to five best VPN services for you to pick one.
5 Best VPN Networks for Japan – Choose What Suits You
Don’t have time to read the whole blog? Here is a list of the best VPN for Japan that you can use for all sorts of internet activities.
1. ExpressVPN (Best in Japan or Everywhere Else)
ExpressVPN is considered as one of the finest Japanese VPN networks in the market. This is mostly because of the incredible security that ExpressVPN provides.
ExpressVPN offers enterprise-level encryption, P2P support, DNS Content Blocking, and it also comes with a kill switch. ExpressVPN doesn’t log your data as it has a no-log policy.
2. SurfShark (Budget-Friendly VPN in Japan)
In comparison with other top VPN service providers, SurfShark is a recent entry to the VPN market. But it has made a name for itself in a short time because of the number of features it offers.
It offers technical features like AES-256 encryption, kill switch, OpenVPN, and IKEv2 support. And it also has a no-logs policy, so your activities are safe.
It also offers VPN chaining (using multiple servers for hopping), and split tunneling, to enhance your network performance.
3. NordVPN (Best Privacy-Focused VPN in Japan)
NordVPN is known for its quality network. It is fast, secure, and offers military-grade encryption at 2048-bit.
Unlike the other VPNs in our list, NordVPN offers two kill switches to fortify your data and give you complete control of your privacy. NordVPN has over 5,000 servers spread over 61 countries.
4. CyberGhost (Fastest VPN in Japan)
Cyberghost is one of the fastest VPN servers around the globe. It has over 5,700 servers in over 60 countries, making it one of the biggest VPN in the world.
It offers protection from malicious sites, HTTPS redirection, and even data compression if you are trying to load a big website.
5. PureVPN (High-Performance VPN in Japan)
PureVPN is another fastest-growing VPN network in Japan. It has over 750 servers in 141 countries. It is known for its robust services in Turkey, China, and even Japan.
Some of its features are directly related to user privacy, but it also has a firm grasp on speed and performance.
Also See: Best VPN for China in 2020
10 Things to Consider: Choosing The Best VPN for Japan
Here is a list of things that you need to give particular importance while choosing the best VPN service for Japan.
- Encryption Protocol: Your VPN security plays a significant role. Make sure that the VPN you select offers military-grade protection. Check for the AES-256 Encryption Protocols.
- Speed: How fast is this VPN service? What is the difference between the actual internet speed and VPN speed? Does it offer a speed boost? Location proximity plays a crucial role in enhancing performance. If a VPN service has servers in multiple countries, it can quickly help you access geo-blocked content.
- No-Log Policy: Surely, you would not want your VPN service to create a log of all your activities. VPNs are meant to help you remain anonymous. If a VPN is collecting your data, then that VPN service is of no use. Make sure you check the ‘no-log’ feature when selecting a VPN.
- Multi-Device Compatibility: Your VPN service should be compatible with Android, iOS, Mac, and even Windows. A good VPN offers a multi-device facility because you will be using it on any device of your choice.
- Device limitation: How many devices can run the VPN service simultaneously? Most VPNs restrict usage to five devices only. This is a major turn off. Make sure the VPN service doesn’t impose device limitations.
- Customer Support: You are paying for the VPN service, so you should get at least 24/7 support. Although many VPN services 24/7 support, it is still a good practice to check before subscribing to one.
- LEA Requests & Local Laws: Every VPN service has to abide by the laws of the lands where it is based. Most VPN services are based in the USA. So, they will have to comply with the local laws. Make sure to check the local laws and the requests that the VPN service providers entertain.
- Torrent Friendliness: If your VPN server doesn’t support a torrent service, then there is no incentive in using it. The purpose of a VPN is to make information freely accessible irrespective of the type of content that is.
- Money-Back Guarantee: Does your VPN service provider offer a complete money-back guarantee? What if you didn’t like the VPN service? That’s where the money-back guarantee really helps. Some of the best companies offer a complete money-back guarantee to the users.
- Unlimited Bandwidth: Make sure the VPN service offers more bandwidth. If the server is already crowded, you won’t be able to enjoy your streaming service.
Best VPN for Japan (An In-Depth Analysis)
Using a VPN service not only keeps your data secure, but it also lets you access information that is restricted either through geographical boundaries or through internet regulations.
Although Japan is the epitome of freedom. However, even Japanese are restricted from using streaming websites and apps such as Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and others.
Moreover, Japan has also made torrenting illegal. It has anti-torrenting laws with penalties of around 10 million yen and a prison sentence of at least two-years.
On the other hand, Reddit users have suggested that torrenting won’t put you behind bars. However, if you are involved in seeding or uploading torrents, you can land in some serious trouble with the authorities.
So, what options do Japanese users have? Free VPN services? Even these VPNs don’t fully protect the identity of the users. Most free VPN even share user data with LEAs, advertisers, and ad platforms.
They won’t be able to keep data safe. Even if some don’t share user data, they are heavily advertised. They also have many major limitations such as limited server locations, low encryption standards, slow speed and lack of stability.
As you are not paying for them, the quality of service they offer is obvious. After all, they have to pay for their technical teams, whatever support they offer, and the server costs. They do this through heavy advertising and blackhat methods like cookie insertion, and keylogging.
Best VPN Services in Japan (Explained In Detail)
Now that we are sure that free VPN services are of no use. Let’s see which of the paid VPN services offer the most value to their users.
ExpressVPN offers a lot of security features including military grade encryption, unlimited bandwidth, split tunneling, multi-server hopping, and no-activity logs and 3000+ servers in over 90+ countries.
The only problem with ExpressVPN? You can only use it on five devices simultaneously.
ExpressVPN works with all streaming websites including Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, HBO, and many more. You can also use it with Kodi and Plex. However, you can only connect five devices at a time ona single license.
Points to Note:
- ExpressVPN has a $12.95 per month fee. But if you buy the VPN subscription for a year, the cost gets cut in half.
- The ExpressVPN marketing team is always offering discounts, so you won’t ever get short of them. You can use it on desktop, Android, iOS, and Mac.
- It comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and is completely free for a month.
For more see my detailed ExpressVPN review.
SurfShark is perfect for those who want to enjoy the perks of a VPN that delivers what it promises.
It provides everything that a privacy-conscious internet user would want, including super-fast speed, military-grade security, unlimited bandwidth, and no limitations on devices.
SurfShark has over 1000+ servers in 60+ countries. You can use it on desktop, iOS, Android, and even Linux. Moreover, the company offers chrome and a Firefox extension.
Unlike ExpressVPN, This provider offers unlimited simultaneous connections. SurfShark is one of the easiest VPN services to set up for Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Netflix.
A basic plan on SurfShark starts from $11.95. However, you can pay for the whole year for as low as $5.99. If you plan to use it for more than a year, the 2-year package of SurfShark will be the right plan for you at $1.99 only.
For more details, you can read my detailed Surfshark review.
NordVPN has over 5,000 servers spread over 61 countries. It is one of the most used VPN networks in Japan.
Users prefer to use NordVPN to get access to streaming services like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, HBO, Amazon Prime, and much more content.
Currently, it can run over 150 streaming websites, including Hulu, Vevo, Amazon Prime, Cartoon Network, and many more. At the same time, it is also used for torrenting to multiple torrents at once using the high-speed servers it provides.
Points to Note:
- You can use NordVPN to block ads. Some users have reported that NordVPN also lets you skip YouTube ads entirely.
- You get two kill switches with NordVPN. One for the entire VPN service and second specific to each app.
- NordVPN comes with an automated VPN server feature. It lets you find the best servers to connect to the internet.
- You can use six devices on NordVPN simultaneously.
For more extensive details you can check my NordVPN review.
Cyberghost uses automatic VPN routing to find you the best VPN connection, depending on your location.
It is mostly used in Japan to find streaming websites and online multiplayer games. Japanese who love to watch Hollywood movies can use the Cyberghost VPN service to do so.
It helps you block intrusive ads, make transactions around the globe in a secure manner, and even stream sporting events. It also comes with 24/7 chat support in Japan to help you in times of need.
Key Points to Note:
- Protects your digital identity across the digital world
- Has a no-log policy for all types of VPN usage
- Keeps you safe while using the public internet
For more details you can read my CyberGhost review.
PureVPN is one of the fastest VPN services in Japan. It also has a no-log policy, which makes it a privacy-safe VPN service. You can use the service on an unlimited number of devices.
It also offers desktop and app versions for users who need flexibility and choice. PureVPN is a great VPN, but it comes with a limited number of servers.
The plus point is that it has a lower cost of $9.99 in comparison with other VPN service providers that offer above $10 price for a single month.
It also offers a 31-day free trial with a complete money-back guarantee for the next three months. You can watch your favorite movies, tv shows, and live streaming events with PureVPN only.
Key Points to Note:
- Techradar gives it a thumbs up for unblocking Netflix
- Provides an above-average speed then your other VPN services
- Comes with numerous security and support features
Can I Use Free VPNs in Japan for Online Privacy and Unblocking
No. You can use free VPN service providers for accessing online content. However, these free VPN services are trading your data for money. There is an old quote, “if something is free, it means you are the price.”
Free VPN services exchange your data, including your visits, your keylogger content, and much more.
This data is of interest to advertisers and ad platforms, and these VPN services can provide a handsome amount for it.
So, back to your question: Can you use free VPNs for privacy protection?
No. Free VPN services are not safe. You can only trust the services that you pay for. There is no guarantee for free VPN services, and that’s the biggest drawback of using them.
However, you can use them for small minimum use, such as browsing a website or something similar.
VPNs That You Should Avoid to Use in Japan
Here is a list of the VPN services that you should DEFINITELY avoid in Japan.
It is a free VPN service that you can use to access information available online. But users of Zenmate have reported that it doesn’t protect their privacy. It is also involved in many IP leaks.
Hola VPN is another VPN service that is known for its notorious case of turning user desktops into exit nodes and selling bandwidth to third parties.
Browsec is another VPN service available in the market. But it is very slow, and you can’t even watch a single episode without excessive buffering.
In a CISCO report, SuperVPN was infected with Malware, Trojan, and adware. It recommended that SuperVPN should not be used on systems to access sensitive information.
Opera Free VPN shield
Opera free VPN service is not a VPN service but a proxy server that allows users to bypass ISP protocols to access a website/app. It also collects data and shares it with third parties.
Are VPN legal in Japan?
Japan has complete internet freedom. This means users can use VPNs without any restrictions to keep their activities private. Article 21 of the Japanese constitution protects freedom of speech, press, and all other forms of expression, and the internet falls in this category.
Do I need a VPN for Japan?
It depends on the type of activities you perform online. If your internet activities are limited to Japanese websites, then you won’t need the internet. However, if you are watching tv seasons like Netflix, HBO, and others, or if you are getting papers from libraries of various universities, you would need a VPN service to keep your activities private.
How do I change my VPN to Japan?
Every VPN service has an option to change the VPN servers. You can change these servers to Japan to connect to the internet securely.
Does NordVPN work in Japan?
Yes, NordVPN works in Japan. In fact, it was the most used VPN network in Japan in 2018. It provides multiple security features that can help the Japanese browse the internet securely.
Now that you are aware of the best VPN services available in Japan, it is time to make a decision.
While deciding which VPN service to buy, keep all the pros and cons in mind. Think about which VPN service has the most pros in your perspective. Once you have decided, subscribe to that VPN server.
While subscribing, make sure that you get the most value for your bucks. Make sure to check all the price packages on offer and then select the one that has the lowest price available.